Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Temani

General Questions

Q: What type of attorney are you?

A: I am a criminal defense attorney, which means that I only handle issues relating to criminal matters.

Q: What type of cases do you handle?

A: We handle both Federal and State criminal charges. We've successfully defended charges ranging from simple theft to murder. Give us a call today, to determine if we can handle your case.

Q: Do you only handle cases in Dallas?

A: No. we defend State cases throughout the State of Texas and Federal criminal cases throughout the United States.

Q: Do you specialize in any types of cases?

A: We specialize in drug and assault related offenses. However, I also accept lots of other types of cases. I've represented clients charged with cases that range from DWI to aggravated kidnapping. Give my office a call or email me, so that we can discuss your case.

Q: Should I wait until my first court date to hire an attorney?

A: No. You should hire an attorney as soon as you are charged with a crime, or discover that you may be charged with a crime. By waiting to hire an attorney, you lose the ability to take advantage of numerous pre-trial resources, such as an examining trial.

Q: I already have a lawyer, but want to hire someone else. What do I need to do?

A: Proceed with hiring your new attorney. After your new attorney is hired, she will contact the previous attorney and the court to let them know that they have been hired by you and will be taking over the case. Nothing additional is required of you.

Q: Which forms of payment does your office accept?

A: Our office accepts all major credit cards, in addition to debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo. We also accept cash, and cashier checks.

Q: Does your office offer payment plans?

A: Yes, our office offers payment arrangements for most criminal cases.

Q: Do I need to have an appointment to come in and speak with Temani Adams about my case?

A: Yes, an appointment is required. Call or click here, to set up an appointment.

Q: Do your office charge a consultation fee?

A: Yes, our office charges a $200.00 fee for in office consultations. Telephone consultations are free.

Q: I have a warrant for a probation violation. If I turn myself in, will I be able to bond out?

A: Your ability to bond out depends on the type of probation you're currently on, and the county of your case. Click here to obtain more information about probation violations.

Q: A police officer called me, and asked if I could come in to answer some questions. What should I do? Do I need a lawyer?

A: You should contact, and hire an attorney, immediately. Often times, police officers use a simple telephone call, as a ploy to get you into their office for an interrogation, and arrest. You won't know if the police genuinely want to ask questions about another crime, or if they want to interrogate you about your actions, or want to arrest you. Because of this, you should always have your attorney present when you have any contact with law enforcement.

     Once you've hired your attorney, she will contact law enforcement on your behalf, and decide how to proceed.

Q: I've heard other attorneys say that they charge a "trial fee," if I want to go to trial. What is that, and does your office charge a trial fee?

A: A trial fee is an additional fee, that some attorneys charge, if you decide that you want to proceed to trial in your case. Typically, a trial fee must be paid before your case is set for trial, or any pre-trial motions are filed.

     Our office only charges a trial fee for certain cases. Because each case is different, there is no way for us to determine if a trial fee would apply in your case.

Q: The police took my money. I received something in the mail, but I don't understand what's going on.

A: The State has initiated asset forfeiture proceedings against you. This means that the police agency that took your money, thinks that it was used to commit a felony, or are proceeds of a criminal activity. As a result, the District Attorney for that county is now suing you in order to keep the money.

     This is not something that should be taken lightly. You need to hire an attorney quickly, so that an Answer can be filed in the lawsuit against you. After being served with the lawsuit, you only have twenty one (21) days to respond. Fortunately, Temani Adams, has significant experience dealing with asset forfeiture cases, from her days in the Asset Forfeiture division at the Harris County District Attorney's Office.

Click here, or read below, to learn more about asset forfeiture proceedings.

Asset Forfeiture

Q: What is asset forfeiture?

A: Simply put, asset forfeiture is when your property (ex. money, car, home, jewelry, etc.), is seized by the state or the government, because they believe that it has been used in the commission of a crime, was intended to be used in the commission of a crime, to further criminal activity, or is proceeds of certain criminal activity.

Q: What are my options?

A: While there are several options available, your best option is to immediately hire an attorney. After the property is seized, the property owner is normally sued by the state or government, in an effort to keep the property. This is a full legal proceeding and should not be taken lightly.

Q: But I did nothing wrong. I wasn't even arrested. Can they still take my stuff?

A: Due to technicalities in the law, yes. This is why you need to immediately hire an attorney.
On numerous occasions, Temani Adams has been able to have her client's property returned before any legal proceedings filed.

Q: Does Temani Adams handle these types of cases?

A: Yes, Temani does handle these types of cases and has extensive experience handling these matters. While still an intern, at the Harris County District Attorney’s Office, Temani handled numerous asset forfeiture cases involving large sums of money, cars and other valuable property.

Expunctions and Non-Disclosures

Q: What is having you record sealed?

A: Having a charge sealed, is a more common term for obtaining an Order of Non-Disclosure. An Order of Non-Disclosure is a court Order, which prevents certain entities from disclosing information about the charge that is the basis of the Order.

Q: What is the difference between having my record sealed and having it expunged?

A: There are several differences between the two. The key is to determine which one you qualify for. If you were placed on deferred adjudication probation, and successfully completed it, more than likely, you qualify to have your charge sealed. If you agreed to any type of conditional dismissal or pre-trial diversion, and successfully completed it, more than likely you qualify to have your case expunged.

Q: I want to get an old conviction off of my record. Can I get it expunged?

A: Unfortunately, if you were convicted of a charge, you do not qualify to have the charge
expunged or sealed.

Q: I want to get my record sealed. How much does it cost?

A: Our office currently charges a flat fee of $1,500.00 per offense, which includes the filing fee, for expunctions and Orders of Non-Disclosure in Dallas County. Please call our office to obtain pricing information for other counties.

Q: I found forms online for an expunction. Can’t I just do it myself?

A: While you can file for an expunction yourself, it’s not recommended because the process can become complicated. The State, and several others may oppose your petition. If they do, a hearing will be required, where the other parties will be represented by an attorney. Because you are not a lawyer, you will be in an uphill battle and may lose.

Q: How long does it take for my charge to stop showing up after you file to have my record sealed?

A: While each case is different, it normally takes about 45 days after the Order is signed.

Traffic Tickets

Q: Do your office handle traffic tickets?

A: Yes, our office handles traffic tickets, in Dallas and the surrounding cities. Click here for a list of cities that we currently handle traffic tickets in.

Q: How much does your office charge for traffic tickets?

A: For most City of Dallas and Dallas County traffic citations, our office charges $100.00 per ticket.

Q: I know I have outstanding tickets, but I don’t know how many I have. How can I find out how many I have?

A: There are several websites to aid you in determining how many outstanding traffic tickets you have. A good starting point is There you will
find outstanding tickets that may prevent you from renewing your driver’s license, or that have caused your driver’s license to become suspended.

Q: I went to jail for traffic tickets, but I still have outstanding tickets. How is that possible?

A: Normally, when a person is arrested for outstanding traffic tickets, they are not arrested for all of their outstanding tickets. As a result, they are not given jail credit towards all of their outstanding tickets.

Nav Map